BIC ERROR ON V7.00.2014 : TASK PANE NOT SHOWING
If the report is shown in Excel, but the 'Layout' pane is not showing, read the following article to troubleshoot this problem.
BIC APPLICATION PATH MAPPING
The Utilities – Explorer options – BIC path is used for the local PC’s BIC application
However, this path may be completely blank if (and as recommended) BIC has been installed to the local installed Pastel Evolution folder that is used to open Pastel Evolution
For Version 6.82
For instance, "C:\Program Files\Pastel Evolution 6 82 65\BIC" is the subfolder that contains all the BIC system files, including the BICore.exe file
Therefore, no mapping required on this screen as BIC is clever enough to find itself.
CONFIGURING THE EVOLUTION BIC NETWORK
In order to ensure that all Evolution network users use the same BIC reports, proper mapping to them has to occur. This is done by a once-off mapping of the centralized Alchemex.svd file and Templates folder.
- svd file: Defining the BIC Data Connection Types, Data Connection Objects, expressions and configurations of the BIC Administrator as well as all standard and customised reports’ setups in the Report Manager.
- Templates folder: Including all the MS Excel BIC report template files.
2. Repository Folder Defined
The Repository folder is normally the C:\Program Files\Evolution\BIC folder on the centralized Pastel Evolution server. It includes the Alchemex.svd file and Templates folder:
3. Single Pastel Evolution User
No configurations are required when Pastel Evolution is run on a standalone PC and the Alchemex.svd file and Templates folder will be accessed and maintained from its default location: C:\Program Files\Evolution\BIC folder.
4. Multi-User Evolution Network
The following steps need to be followed so all users on a Pastel Evolution access the same BIC reports (Report designs and Templates):
4.1 Giving Permissions and Security Rights to the Evolution BIC users
- On the Pastel Evolution server, open My Computer and browse to the C:\Program Files\Evolution folder
- Right click on the BIC sub-folder and select “Sharing And Security”
- Enter the “Share name” value: BIC
- Select the Permissions button. Permission settings to the BIC folder can now be given by ensuring that for the “Everyone” user profile on the top of the window, the “Full Control”, “Change” and “Read” permission options at the bottom of the screen are selected and the Apply button selected.
- The above setting will give all users on the network, including non-Evolution users Full Control-, Change- and Read Permissions on the BIC folder.
Therefore, to increase access security on the BIC folder, the Evolution network administrator may rather opt not to select the above mentioned options for the “Everyone” user profile, but to rather use the Add ( ) button above and add Permissions only to relevant Evolution BIC users on the “Select Users or Groups” window.
- If working on a Windows Domain (as opposed to working on a normal Windows Workgroup), select the BIC folder’s Security tab and add either the “Everyone” user or specific Evolution BIC users. Select all the options at the bottom for the user, e.g. “Full Control”, “Modify” etc. When done, select the OK button.
4.2 Specifying the BIC Repository Folder
- Ensure all Evolution users are logged out of Evolution companies
- Login to the first Evolution Company on which the Repository folder must be configured for, using agent Admin. This can be done on the server or on any workstation.
- On the Administration menu, select: System Configuration / System Wizard / Repository tab (at the bottom)
- Use the Browse button on the right of the window and browse through the Local Area Network to the BIC folder on the Evolution server. Even when physically sitting in front to the Evolution server, also browse via the Local Area Network back to the BIC folder.
- When done, the “Repository Folder” value could look like this (\\servername\BIC) as an example.
- Select the correct “Current Financial Year” for the current company. The correctly selected current financial year is important for running the Management Pack report The current financial year is determined by opening the company’s Common / Maintenance / Company Details / Accounting Periods screen and see in which financial year the company is currently.
- When done, select the Finish button at the bottom of the screens
- Select Yes on the prompt message that is then received:
- The Evolution Company is closed and the normal Evolution logon screen is displayed on which the same or another company can be opened.
- Open the next Evolution Company and repeat the above steps in order to define its Repository location. Complete the same on all Evolution companies.